Located in the Annex neighbourhood in downtown Toronto, Royal St. George's College is an urban day school for boys that combines academic excellence with a stimulating and supportive environment. RSGC offers a challenging program of academics, athletics, the arts, outdoor education, community outreach and co-curricular activities designed to fulfill our College’s Vision of “lifelong Georgians ready to use their scholarship, compassion, conscience and courage to make a difference.”
Our vibrant Junior School is looking for a compassionate and collaborative Social Worker for the start of the 2021/2022 academic school year. This is a part-time contract position from August 31, 2021 until June 18, 2022 and reporting to the Head of Junior School. The successful candidate will be a knowledgeable, empathetic and engaging individual who will maintain and build upon the existing counselling and well-being programs to support and empower students, as well as provide them with strategies, tools and education to foster resiliency, positive self-efficacy and overall social and emotional wellness.
The Social Worker will be integral to supporting our mission “To challenge and inspire each boy to be the best version of himself,”
and will develop relationships with students in the Junior and Middle School years in support of implementing social emotional learning opportunities. The successful candidate will represent Royal St. George’s College with utmost professionalism and integrity. We are seeking an individual whose professional practice aligns with the Values
that guide our daily actions. Please meet some of our students discussing our values here
Qualifications and Requirements
- Develop relationships with students and their families who access counselling services regularly
- Provide a safe, trusted and confidential space for student and family counselling
- Collaborate with the Senior School Social Worker, faculty, staff, administrators and other internal partners to deliver programs and initiatives to support overall wellbeing of students
- Plan, deliver and lead age appropriate student wellbeing initiatives including: workshops, discussion groups, awareness weeks including, but not limited to LGBTQ+, mental health and bullying.
- Maintain case records and comply with mandated documentation and reporting requirements
- Work with Physical Education team in delivering our Healthy Living curriculum
- Evaluate and determine need for external support outside the care provided at school and, where appropriate, provide external referrals to services, agencies or specialists
- Masters of Social Work (MSW) and Registered Social Worker (RSW)
- Current membership in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Strong understanding of reporting and legislative requirements set by the Children’s Aid Society
- Knowledge of the Social Work and Social Service Work Act, The Child and Family Services Act, Education Act, Health Care Consent Act, and Mental Health Act
- Experience working with children/adolescents aged 8yrs – 13yrs
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to think critically during difficult conversations and crisis situations
Royal St. George's College is committed to fostering workplace wellbeing by building on a culture where all of our people can experience a sense of belonging. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Should you be contacted regarding any opportunity at the College and require accommodation, please advise us. RSGC offers a supportive and nurturing work environment and a competitive compensation package.
If you are interested in working in a dynamic educational environment, please email your application, including a cover letter and resume, no later than Monday, April 5, 2021 to the attention of Catherine Kirkland, Head of Junior School, Royal St. George’s College at: firstname.lastname@example.org
indicating Social Worker in the subject line.